Toys R Us - Humiliated customer

I was humiliated by the manager at Toy R Us Greece, NY location.I went to purchase Christmas items for needed children.

I notice while in the store the Boom Nerf guns were on sale for 50% off. I grab several of the guns. When I got to the register the items rang up full price. I said to the Cashier "I'll go get the sign with says 50%." Because there were a lot of people in the store and I didn't want to hold up the line up.

The cashier said, "I have to call a manager". We waited about ten minutes before a manager came. The Manager came she never acknowledge me. I'm not sure what the Cashier said to her but the Manager’s speech was at a loud pitch when she said "All Nerf items aren't on sale".

I said “these Nerf items I'm interested in are on sale; we can go in the back to get the sign.” She said “I don’t have time for this.” I said again “We can go in the back to get the sign” and proceeded to walk towards the back of the store. When we got to the back there were two signs which advertised 50% off Boom Nerf. Instead of the situation being resolved it escalated. I was refused service and law enforcement was called.

I would like to go into more details if someone from Toy R Us is willing to contact me.

I also would like to know if this is common practices for Toy R Us management not address a customer with greetings and not to have the common knowledge to diffuse issues that arise in the store.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

• What I liked
      No items
  • What I disliked
    • Treatment i received from the manager tammy

Reason of review:
Poor customer service
Preferred solution:
Let the company propose a solution
Monetary loss:
Product or service
Boomco Gun
Review category
Kids' Stores
review #756380

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Toys R Us? Submit review ›
Helpful? 2 Yes 2 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jan 03 #1087939

there's quite a bit missing from the post. they wouldn't have just called the cops for nothing. you say you went back to where they were with the signs then all of a sudden you mention how they called the cops. what happened in between that? obviously something escalated probably you raising your voice demanding that you get your way or the highway most likely
people like you make me wish I didn't work retail but its the other 99% of the great customers that keep me coming back.
and for the record I don't work at toys r us but I do work retail.

1 1 Reply

Jan 04 #1088494

I started arguing, using some profanity and they said not to use that language in front of children. Not that it is any of your business. I am not going to lie, I was perhaps overboard. But still even if the misunderstanding was mine, which when I went back later I realized I misunderstood the signs and the Nerf guns I wanted were full price, they should have given them to me for half price since I told them they were for needed children. I feel it shameful that I had to lie and say that they were for needed children in hopes to buy the Boom Nerf guns for my own children. I was hoping if I told them it was for needed children they would give the discount anyway, or give them for free, but no. Before you judge, me I make minimum wage and wanted to get my children the popular toys their friends all have.

0 3 Reply

Dec 23, 2015 #1082991

Sorry you have an apologist commentiong below when you were clearly wronged. Truth is retail "managers" are completely horrendous and a joke, especially when you're talking low-brow stores like these worldwide profit machines. aka Wal mart, toys r us. I had a similar experience in a lingerie store where a sign had 5$ on it, and the item directly in front was 20$. Rather than have any remote idea of what customer service means, like politely explaining, diffusing, apologixing for having a bit of a laugh at their customers by tricking us into thinking things are cheaper than they are, the "manager" is rude for no reason like I am trying to scam her company out of money and like I am some child who will start yelling and throwing things around if I don't get my way. They don't get trained, they get their 12$ an hour which is RICHES in retail and get told to deal with us pieces of garbage (aka customer) in the cheapest manner possible. Don't feel bad, just do your shopping online so you don't need those idiots. And if you have complaints about something, well good luck with that. Send off an email or a letter you'll probably have more luck. -signed, a call center customer service person for the past 10 years who does a dang good job which is very, very rare. (I mean really people in our culture don't even have an inkling of what serving someone means, their giant selfish egos get in the way I think)

0 0 Reply

Dec 22, 2015 #1082435

If they felt the problem was bad enough to call law enforcement, I doubt they will get back to you except to trespass you permanently from the store. Remember, the placement of signs is only of minor importance on the actual price and the signs get moved all the time.

1 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Toys R Us. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Toys R Us.
Filing a new complaint about