Me and many of my mates all work in toys r us!

so many of the workers have been redused to tears by managment for *** reasons, in one day 4 members of staff quit.

This is the exeter, devon store and it has only been open since septmeber and already alot of the origninal staff have quit due to the managment.

The hours are rediculus, more then one person has asked for a single day off for reasons to do with their children etc and the managment have just laughed in their faces and walked away.

One poor lad lost his girlfriend in an operation,, only day he was given off was the funeral, apart from that he worked all hours given to him which gave him no time for grief.

Me, i came from having no work, no money to having to work 6 day weeks,,my first week being a 7 day, i could not afford it and when told managment i was told either be in work or face disaplinary, lack of money is not an excuse,,i live in exmouth, the store is in exeter,i had no job before this and they knew this yet they still got me for a 59 hr week, 7 days and having to go in on peak time train fare.

Along with more then one member I shall be calling head office with this complaint against them.

Had an Experience with Toys R Us?

Comments

Nashua, New Hampshire, United States #871309

When I called to see when I worked next my store owner said "didn't I fire you already." Wicked funny joke as I had just dropped $450 the previous day replacing the suspension in my car to get to work.

Ever Toys R Us is different.Different management team.

I loved my job. I had to move out of state was reason i left. Yes it is *** that you work holidays and no holiday pay.

They did give us holiday pay this year tho for working Thanksgiving.I was told it was the first year for corporate to do that.

to Anonymous #1246051

how did you ever get holiday pay?my store never did.

I'm actually resigning today as my boss has verbally abused me for the LAST time.I am done with that ***.

Toys 'R' Us does treat employees unfair.I always tell them the ladders are broken, they say write a note and leave it by the "RGD" desk and "they'll" take care of it.

The next time I work, I'm on the same ladder I wrote a note on. Broken rungs, broken locking mechanisms. I called HR and no answer because the 24hr service is not accessible on weekends. Pay there blows, they do it all wrong compared to their competitors, to which I am applying.

You work holidays, and if you are real good, you work every holiday. No holiday pay, or time and a half, and if you manage to hit over time during season you get yelled at. My store manager is a nightmare on flesh and bone. and metrics?

please. America, this is the one job you cannot work in and expect the whole "freedom of work, climb the ladder, live a happy life" and expect it.

I'm never leaving school.I don't know why people work here.

I THINK IT IS VERY UNFAIR HOW TOYS R US TREATS THEIR EMPLOYEES,IN THE PAST 2 YRS.I'VE WORKED FOR THE COMPANY,I'VE BEEN HARASSED BY A SUPERVISOR OVER AND OVER AGAIN,NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE TO HELP ME.I LOVE MY TEAM SO MUCH I HATED TO LEAVE.AFTER FINDING THAT SO MANY CUSTOMERS HAVE ALWAYS GIVEN ME GREAT COMPLIMENTS,WRITTEN LETTERS TO CORPORATE,I'VE ALWAYS GOTTEN GREAT AND OUTSTANDING EVALUATIONS.I'VE DONE OUTSTANDING WITH MY METRICS I TRULY GO ABOVE AND BEYOND AT ANY COST. STILL AFTER PUTTING IN A 2WK NOTICE BECAUSE OF HARASSMENT,NO ONE THOUGHT TO ASK ME HOW COULD THEY SOLVE THE ISSUE TO KEEP ME ABOARD.I THEN PUT IN A RETRACTION WHICH WAS DENIED BY HR.CORPORATE.I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW SOMEONE THAT CARES SO MUCH ABOUT THEIR JOB'S PERFORMANCE,AND CUSTOMERS COULD BE TREATED SO POORLY.I'VE EVEN HAD SO MANY CUSTOMERS COMPLAIN ABOUT THE VERY SUPERVISOR THAT I SUBMITTED MY NOTICE BEHIND.I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND.

#206075

I was too excited about staring to work at my local Toys R Us.I worked retail, and thought this would be a fun second job.

Got the job, was told it was a team member position. Would have to learn cash register & then be on the sales floor, see most of my experience is on the sales floor. I love helping customers...When I went to orientation, the whole time we were referred to as "cashiers". Ok, so at the end the orientation, I asked "is this just a cashier position, if so I am not interested" they advised me no, it was a team member...

So I show up for my 4 hour training, got trained 45 mins on cash register, well what upset me most is that a guy was training with me.. he only was at the register for 10 minutes before a manager got him because they wanted him to work on the floor not register. The girl who was training me told me then, that they only have the guys work on the sales floor, they only want us girls to be cashiers, so don't expect to work on the sales floor. Then I was on my own on the cash register, after 45 minutes of watching, not training...I did not know half the things I was doing.

Did not know what was on special, what free gifts there were, nor did I have my id for the loyalty program. I got yelled at numerous times for things I did not know or for miss-labled items. I got soo sick of asking those questions! Seriously if someone is just buying a gift card, do they need batteries???

After a day of all those problems, I...

Why would you have someone train on one of your busiest days of the week?Also why would you have someone train with a person who has only been there a week or so before you?

Alexis_Secret
#197558

@ Ann Thank you :) I am a former employee of the "R Us" company, of 9 years. Cashiers (at both Toys R Us and Babies R US) as well as floor associates are required to push the TRU/BRU credit card, TRU/BRU rewards card, warranties and even batteries (the company calls them METRICS). The sad truth is the ones that do get the most metrics, get more hours (to work); the ones that don't you hardly see working. And the biggest kicker of all, is the management gets bonuses every time the cashiers and sales floor people get these "METRICS"

@ Just curious I Understand your argument; however, I am curious as to your response to the following: as a part of the "METRICS" during checkout if the cashier doesn't ask the guest if he/she needs batteries, the guest gets a $5 gift card. Since this free $5 gift card craziness; I've witnessed at least 4 customers lie to manager and say the cashier did not ask; and the manager most likely knew the customer was lying, but gave them the $5 gift card anyway. As a matter of fact I've heard a manager say "Ma'am, she always asks guests if they need batteries; you probably weren't listening. I will do it this time, but in the future you need to listen more closely." I myself even heard the cashier ask the guest and told the manager but she still gave her the gift card; now it is my understanding that the money that is put on the gift cards is charged to the Company's account....

By the way I worked as a cashier and ran the customer service desk; and did my job very well. In my opinion, asking so many questions slows up the checkout process; especially when it's only 2 cashiers on a busy Saturday morning.

First to the "lad": Anyone and everyone is free to quit, no one to blame but yourself. There are resources, use them, or walk away. I dont agree with their treatment of personel but if you and your "mates" dont take action it will soon be you to blame.

Now to Ann: I respect your point of view, I agree that some retailers are taking this process too far. I myself have been a part of this type of retail environment, not too much fun for the associates. But you have to realize that in fact this economy merits doing everything possible to grow business. Its a fact that people who sign up for store cards buy 48% more, and 22% of those offered a card will say "yes". So think about how much money that represents, its enough to keep the doors open and associates employeed. This is not meant to torture cashiers and customers, of course many will resist this obligation, but if 22% are signing on then its a fairly good program.

So the experts agree, this type of program has many benefits, it gauges many things. The customer who likes the store and has a good experience will sign up, those that dont wont. The "IMPULSE" items at the register, sometimes unrelated items, serve the same purpose. The results of this programs show that the stores that sell the most credit cards and impulse items also have the fewest customer complaints and the lowest associate turnover. The happy customer signs up or buys the "impulse" item and the happy associate will always offer them....

The other side of the coin are the associates who just think its a drag and dont want to do their job. Who are they, in this tough economy, to question policy and risk the future of the company or the future of other associate's jobs by costing the company profit? Because these are very profitable programs, it measures customer service, employee moral, and helps customers spend more. They can do the job right, with the propper attitude, or they can join the "lad" above.

I refuse to shop at Babies R Us anymore.I have become increasingly annoyed by the fact that I'm asked repeatedly by the cashiers to sign up for credit cards and to buy products like batteries that have nothing to do with my purchase.

But now I'm even more upset, because I've found out that the cashiers are forced by the company to ask these questions. In fact, their jobs are at stake if they don't ask these questions, and even worse, if they don't get enough people to sign up for credit cards, they can be fired for not following "company policy". Are you kidding, in this economy they are going to hold their employees responsible if their customers are smart enough not to sign up for more credit?!?!? Clearly whoever is responsible for this *** policy at Babies R Us is out of touch with reality and has no concern for their customer base.

I have decided that since I have no intention of being forced to sign up for a credit card, that I will just spare any cashier who has to wait on me the agony of worrying about his or her job by not going into the store in the first place.Maybe if enough customers feel the same way, the company will take note and fix this problem.

to Ann Ohio, United States #1173581

I am glad you as a consumer, feel this way.As an employee at this place, it is is shame, we must endure threats.

That we also are told to be unethical in our process.The consumer mindset in me, does not want to shop at my own place of employment, because i know how poorly the hourly associates are treated.